Of everything that I have written to date regarding tattoos, this article has been the absolute most fascinating for me. I was Wowed by the Tattoo Apps, and I am most definitely amazed by all of the artists and bands that I have met and spoken with but this is something different all together.
Cool yes, fantastic definitely, amazing of course...I liken it to a train wreck. You know that you should look away, but it is so unbelievable that you just have to. These are the top twelve creepiest, coolest tattoo inventions to exist, and I argue that there will not be at least one thing to shock you down the list!
12. Stencilling - These are like semi-permanent hair dye; they are tattoos that eventually fade into oblivion. It can take a matter of a few weeks to a month but you no longer have to be concerned about keeping your tattoo...really? Anyway, I suppose it would be rather useful for people using their bodies as advertising space for cash!?
11. Video Tattoos - Yep built in LCD screen tattoos and animated 3D tattoos. They are very cool and put a whole new meaning to Hashtag...wonder how Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake will spoof this one? (Watch it on YouTube if you haven't seen it).
10. Clothing Tattoos - Now this is a truly revolutionary product, Nike being one of the test pilots with a skull cap that has a built in electronic tattoo device that monitors head trauma. The company, MC10, makes ultra-thin, flexible products such as an electronic band-aid that monitors such things as water intake. They are also improving upon the electronic tattoos and are working on a wearable that will remind the wearer to re-apply their sunscreen.
9. To-Do List Temporary Tattoos - This is one of those head shakers. This is literally as it sounds, a temporary tattoo, higher scale than the ones out of a bubblegum machine but same pretence, that you can write your grocery and shopping list on, memos and reminders. WOW!
8. Robotic Tattooists - I feel like I walked into the movie I Robot with this next invention and it gives me an eerie feeling to imagine it being put to use and trusting a robot with my own tattoo. But yes, the "Digital Tattoo Artist" uses 3D software to automate the tattoo experience...and it looks as Cyborg as it sounds!
7. Removable Areola Tattoo for Mastectomy - There is nothing creepy about this invention; in fact it is absolutely wonderful. I placed it in this article because it has the WOW factor, I had no idea that this existed. I have seen permanent areola tattoos which are incredible and come by caring hands; this is the no pain way to replace the areolas after surgery and reconstruction. They were invented by Canadian Cosmetic Tattoo Artist Dorothy Kizoff and are made in three colours for skin match.
6. Braille Tattoos - Now there are ink versions of the Braille tattoo, which are simply a conceptual piece meant to be read by the seeing who understand Braille. However there are actual tactile versions that are not meant to be seen but rather to be touched. These would fall into a mod category as they are normally implant based but can also have ink for the seeing as well.
5. Tooth Tattoos - There two tattoos that belong here. The first is actually an ink on tooth sort of concept, being that you get a tattoo on your teeth, yes people have done this. The second is a very cool invention that is similar to the wearable’s mentioned above, but adheres to the tooth. The electronic tattoo senses bacteria and decay and will alert it's wearer, who knew?!
4. Vibrating Tattoos-This is a patented invention by Nokia. The electronic device or "tattoo" adheres to the skin, thin and flexible in nature and will vibrate when your cell phone rings. Well, it will cut down on those pesky few seconds of reminder that precede a movie!
3. The Lie Detector Tattoo-Google is currently working on this patent. The electronic tattoo is adhered to the neck of the wearer and is a "galvanic skin response detector" that can determine whether the individual is telling the truth, or in fact committing perjury. They are also working on using it in conjunction with cell phones, equipped with a microphone. Because of its close proximity to the throat and mouth, it is said to cut down on background noise while communicating over cell.
2. The Magic Wand Home Tattoo Removal System - I cannot even fathom the Infomercial on this one, but it is in fact a worthy candidate. It is a home done tattoo removal system...yikes, and I thought that the Ebay tattoo kit was scary!
1. Anti-Rape Tattoo - This is not a "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" segment. No, students in India actually developed a special brand of anti-rape lingerie that have an electronic "tattoo" inset into the garments. This device has a GPS tracker and administers shocks if tampered with.
You're welcome! I dare you not to talk about it at work tomorrow, with friends or better yet, have it on your brain as you drift off to sleep!
Writer: Morbid Molly